Thursday 20 September 2012

Songwriter's Circle and Slowcoaster at Neptune Theatre Street Party - September 15th

 

Had a great time on Argyle street today. I went with my family and got to see some of my favourite east coast artists performing on stage across from The Carleton.

First we saw a songwriter's circle with Christina Martin, John MacPhee (of Paper Lions), Dylan Guthro, Andrew James O'Brien, and Steven MacDougall (solo artist and Slowcoaster frontman).

John MacPhee, Christina Martin, Andrew James O'Brien, Dylan Guthro and Steven MacDougall

 This was excellent. Christina Martin is one of my favourite artists...period. She played "Marina", from her new album and "I'm Gonna Die". As usual, she was wonderful. Andrew James O'Brien played a lovely new song (name I cannot remember) and "We Were a Boat" from "Songs For Searchers". If you don't have "Songs For Searchers", I would highly recommend it. Fantastic album. I was unfamiliar with Dylan Guthro's music and unfortunately don't know the names of the songs he played. He is really good and someone I plan to listen to in the near future. I was also unfamiliar with John MacPhee (and Paper Lions). John played two songs, including "Travelling". The video for that song just reached 2 million hits today. Congrats to Paper Lions. Steven MacDougall played a couple of songs from his new album, Cruel and Unusual ("Cliche" and "My God"). The album was released earlier this month. I love Steven's first solo record and his work with Slowcoaster. Loved both songs and picked up the album. I am listening to it right now. Awesome songwriter's circle!

Slowcoaster came on a little later than scheduled, but they were worth the wait. Mike LeLievre (bass) and Brian Talbot (drums), joined Steven MacDougall for one energetic show. Most of the songs they played were from the latest release "The Darkest of Discos". They also played the song of the summer "Flip Flops", "Venezuela" and finished off with "Patio". By the end, there were many people dancing on the street, including my own energetic 6 year old son. He told me in the morning that he loved Slowcoaster and he thoroughly enjoyed the show.


Thanks to the performers and those who put on the show for making it such a special day.

No comments:

Post a Comment